Apple released final version of iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 to general public, after going through eight beta stages over the past few months.
From the iPhone to the iPad, via Apple TV and Apple Watch, without forgetting the HomePod and Macs, the Cupertino company has brought many good news.
The promise is due and all users, with machines supported by the latest version of the operating system, can now upgrade. See what’s new.
The size of this update will come in around three gigabytes that will depend on your device and the version you’re coming from. But that is coming from iOS 14.8. And the official bill number for IUs 15 is 19A346.
So, it is different than the RC build that beta testers got last week. And the modem firmware has also been changed to 2.09.10. So, if you were having connectivity issues on iOS 14, those could be resolved with this update.
What’s new in iOS 15?
Apple has released several beta versions in order to understand what users need from the new iOS. At WWDC21 it presented innovative features, brought features that were missing and gave a new look to several native applications. After last week having presented the Release beta version, today the Cupertino company launches for all iOS 15.
iOS 15 Features
- With spatial audio, people’s voices seem to come from the direction they are positioned on the screen in FaceTime group calls (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- Voice isolation blocks background noise so your voice can be heard perfectly (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- The broad spectrum incorporates all the background noise in the call (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- Depth mode blurs the background to focus attention on you (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- Grid view shows up to six people at a time in FaceTime group calls, in equal-sized tiles, and highlights the person who is talking.
- FaceTime links allow you to invite friends to a FaceTime call; even Android or Windows device users can access it through the browser.
Messages and Memoji
- Shared With You shows content sent by friends in conversations in the Messaging app in a new section in the Photos, Safari, News, Music, Podcasts or TV apps.
- With content pinning, the shared content you choose is highlighted in Shared with you, in Messages search, and in the Conversation Details view.
- Photos uploaded together in the Messages application are displayed as a collage or in a scrollable stack.
- Over 40 Memoji clothing options with up to three different colors to customize the clothing and head accessories of Memoji stickers.
- Concentration mode allows you to filter notifications automatically based on what you are doing (eg exercise, sleep, gaming, reading, driving, working or personal time).
- Concentration mode uses the artificial intelligence on the device during setup to suggest apps and people whose notifications can be allowed when a concentration mode is enabled.
- Home screen pages can be customized according to apps and widgets relevant to a specific focus mode.
- Smart contextual hints of how to focus to use based on context such as location or time of day.
- The status is shown to your contacts in conversations in the Messaging app, indicating that notifications are muted due to concentration mode.
- New look with photos of contacts and larger app icons.
- The notification summary presents a useful collection of notifications daily, at the defined time.
- Notifications can be muted from any app or messaging conversation for an hour or until the end of the day.
- Detailed city maps with elevation, trees, buildings, landmarks, crosswalks and turn lanes, as well as three-dimensional views for navigating complex junctions, and much more, available in the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, New York and London, and in the future in more cities (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- New features for driving, including a new map where details such as traffic and incidents are highlighted, as well as an itinerary planner that lets you view a future journey by selecting departure or arrival time.
- Immersive directions for walking, step by step, in augmented reality (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- Up-to-date public transport experience with one-touch access to nearby departures, easy one-handed consultation and interaction, and approaching stop notification.
- Interactive 3D globe with improved detail presentation of mountain ranges, deserts, forests, oceans, etc. (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- Redesigned place cards to simplify access to information and interaction with places, as well as a new space for guides selected by editors with the best recommendations of places you will enjoy visiting.
- The easier-to-access tab bar at the bottom lets you switch between tabs easily by swiping left or right.
- Tab groups help to save and organize tabs and simplify access from multiple devices.
- Display of open tabs in a grid view.
- The landing page can be customized with a background image and new sections like Privacy Report, Siri Suggestions and Shared with you.
- iOS web extensions help to customize browsing and can be downloaded through the App Store.
- Voice search allows you to search the web with your voice only.
- Home keys – tap to unlock the home door lock (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- Hotel Room Keys – Tap to unlock the room door at participating hotels.
- Office keys – tap to unlock the office door at participating companies.
- Ultra-wideband car keys – unlock, lock and power on a supported vehicle without taking your iPhone out of your bag or pocket (iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 models).
- The car keys’ remote keyless entry functions allow you to lock, unlock, sound the horn, pre-heat the car or open the trunk in supported vehicles.
- The Discoverable Text feature makes text in photos interactive so you can copy and paste, search and translate into Photos, Screenshots, Quick View, Safari and Camera Previews (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- Data detectors for Detectable Text recognize phone numbers, email addresses, dates, addresses and other elements in photographs, so you can use them directly.
- Available from the keyboard, allowing you to enter text directly from the camera’s viewfinder into any text field.
- Advanced results that bring together all the information you are looking for about contacts, actors, musicians, movies and TV shows.
- Search for photos in the photo library by location, people, scenery, text in photos, or other elements such as a dog or a car.
- Web image search to search for images of people, animals, monuments, etc.
- Newly designed memorabilia: new interactive interface, animated tokens with smart adaptive titles, new animation and transition styles, and image set collages.
- Apple Music subscribers can add Apple Music to Memories; personalized music suggestions match expert recommendations with your music tastes and what appears in your photos and videos.
- Memories mixes allow you to select the style between the different songs to choose from and a look to match.
- New types of keepsakes, including more international holidays, keepsakes that focus on kids, trends over time, and improved pet keepsakes.
- The info panel now displays advanced information about the photos, such as camera and lens used, shutter speed, file size, etc.
- Sharing allows you to select the data, alerts and trends you want to share with the people who matter most to you and the caregivers who care for you.
- Trends allow you to view the progress over time of certain health metrics and can send notifications if a new trend is detected.
- Walking Stability is a new metric that allows you to assess your fall risk and send notifications if your walking stability level is low (iPhone 8 and later models).
- Verifiable health records allow you to download and store verifiable versions of COVID-19 vaccines and laboratory results.
- A new design shows the most important weather information for the location and includes new map modules.
- Weather maps can be viewed in full screen and show precipitation, temperature and air quality in supported countries.
- Rainfall notifications for the next hour let you know when it is about to start or stop raining or snowing in Ireland, the UK and the US.
- New animated backgrounds more accurately represent the position of the sun, clouds and precipitation (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- On-device processing means that the audio of your requests remains on the device by default, and means Siri is capable of processing many offline requests (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- Sharing elements with Siri allows you to send onscreen elements, such as photos, web pages and Map locations, to any of your contacts.
- On-screen context can be used by Siri in reference to on-screen contacts to send them a message or call.
- On-device personalization allows you to privately improve speech recognition and Siri comprehension (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later models).
- The Privacy Protection feature in Mail protects your privacy by preventing email senders from getting information about your activity in Mail, your IP address or if you opened your email.
- Smart tracking prevention in Safari now also prevents known trackers from tracing your profile via your IP address.
- iCloud+ is a subscription cloud service that provides premium functionality and additional iCloud storage.
- The iCloud Private Forwarding feature (beta) sends your requests through two separate internet relays and encrypts your device’s outgoing web traffic, so you can browse Safari more securely and privately.
- With Hide My Email, you can create unique, random email addresses that forward to your personal inbox, allowing you to send and receive emails without having to share your email address. true mail.
- HomeKit’s Secure Video feature supports connecting more security cameras without using your iCloud storage quota.
- Your own email domain personalizes your iCloud email address and lets you invite family members to use the same domain.
- Exploring images with VoiceOver lets you get even more details about people and objects and learn about text and table data in photographs.
- VoiceOver image descriptions in Markup let you add your own image descriptions that can be read by VoiceOver.
- Per-application settings allow you to customize text display and size settings for specific applications only.
- Background sounds continuously reproduce balanced noise, light or dark, ocean, rain and stream sounds in the background to mask unwanted ambient or external noise.
- Actions through sounds on the stick control let you control the iPhone with simple sounds made with your mouth.
- Ability to import audiograms in Settings to customize headphone options based on hearing test results.
- New voice control languages: Mandarin (Mainland China), Cantonese (Hong Kong), French (France) and German (Germany).
- Memoji options including a cochlear implant, oxygen tubing or soft cap.
This update also includes other features and improvements:
- In the Notes and Reminders apps, tags help you quickly categorize elements so they’re easier to find, and smart folders and smart lists let you collect notes and reminders automatically based on defined rules.
- In the Notes application, mentions let you notify others of important updates in shared notes, and a new activity view shows all recent changes made to a note in a single list.
- Spatial audio with dynamic head movement tracking in Apple Music provides an even more immersive experience when listening to music in Dolby Atmos format with AirPods Pro and AirPods Max.
- System-level translation lets you select text anywhere, even photographs, and translate it with just a tap.
- New widgets: Find, Contacts, App Store, Sleep, Game Center and Mail.
- Drag and drop between applications allows you to move images, documents and files from one application to another.
- The keyboard magnifying glass magnifies text as you move the cursor.
- With Apple ID account recovery contacts, you can now choose one or more trusted people who can help reset your password and regain access to your account.
- Temporary iCloud storage provides as much iCloud storage space as you need to create a temporary backup of your data, free of charge, for up to three weeks when you buy a new device.
- Removal notices in the Find app allow you to receive notifications if you leave your compatible device or object somewhere, and directions to find you.
- Game Highlights Capture – It is now possible to save up to 15 seconds of your latest plays using game controllers such as the Xbox Series X|S wireless controllers or Sony PS5 DualSense™.
- In the App Store, events built into apps let you discover current events in apps and games, such as a competition, the premiere of a new movie, or a live-streamed experience.
This update includes even more features and improvements. Apple provides additional information on the website: https://www.apple.com/en/ios/ios-15/features/